Forum

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Need enclosed trailer rental

Next week I am picking up an MGA in Wisconsin.  While I can rent an open U-Haul trailer, I would prefer an enclosed trailer.  So far, I have not found anything local.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

David Mathias

David,

here's an option:
https://neighborstrailer.com/trailer-detail/2022-16-enclosed-spartan-trailer-2536

DW

Thanks, David.  I saw that listing but don't know how one would secure a car without tie-down points in the floor.

David

You can use rubber wheel chocks on every wheel or even bags of sand to block the wheels in place  . Put the car in gear and use the hand brake (if  working )  You probably can also use load locks to keep the car from moving in the trailer , just put them in the right places. Can you perhaps use tie down straps to secure to the rails on the walls of the trailer  ?

There should be a way to get the car safely home !

Terry Ramsey has reacted to this post.
Terry Ramsey

Hi David.

I ran a quote to transfer your car from the farthest city in Wisconsin to Hendersonville via an enclosed trailer. Considering your travel expenses, motel, safety, trailer rental,  etc. $1,700 might be a bargain.

https://www.montway.com/checkout/calculation/c4291ca37b80f260?calculation

I hope this helps.

Terry

John - Thanks, I'll give that some thought, though it makes me a little nervous on a 1000 mile drive.

Terry - Thank you for going to the trouble to get a quote.  I purchased the car about 5 weeks ago in Minneapolis and moved it to a friend's garage in La Crosse.  My original plan was to have it shipped to NC.  But when I picked it up from the seller, she gave me boxes of paperwork and magazines, some parts, etc.  Most shippers will not allow anything in the car for shipping.  Montway is an exception to that rule but the MGA is too small to hold everything.  Also, it's very cold up there so I'd prefer not to start the car.  I'm willing to push it onto the trailer (with help from friends) but a commercial driver might not be willing to load it without starting it (and may not be able to depending on the size of their trailer).  So despite the pain of a 2000 mile roundtrip, I think going myself makes the most sense.

The quote was for a non-running car so they must have someway to pull it up into the trailer.